Indian Head Massage is based on the Ayurvedic system of healing which has been practised in India for thousands of years. It works on both the physical and the mental level. Physically, it helps all the systems of the body – the immune nervous, respiratory, endocrine, circulation, muscular, skeletal and lymphatic. Mentally, it helps the mind to relax, that helps all of the systems of the body to restore and renew themselves.
Massaging the scalp increases blood flow to the hair follicles which speeds the delivery of vital nutrients, oxygen and a waste disposal system that eliminates toxins.
Another relaxation-booster which is often triggered during a head massage is an extremely pleasant sensation known as ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response). Most people have experienced this sensation at one point or another during their life, described as euphoric tingles that occur in the head and emanate through the rest of the body. When we physically relax, our mind soon follows and vice versa. The physiological benefits of relaxation are tremendous and essential for a good quality of life.
Other benefits of Indian Head Massage include:
- Helps prevent migraines, headaches and back pain – Tension in the upper back, neck and head very often leads to headaches. An Indian head massage will start with the upper back, arms and shoulders helping to relax your knots and relieve tension. It will then progress to the head and neck encouraging better cerebral fluid circulation
- Detoxifies the body – Indian head massage will improve lymphatic drainage and blood flow to the neck which helps the body to get rid of waste products;
- Relieves anxiety – Massaging the head increasing the supply of oxygen to the brain and is one of the best ways to get rid of anxiety;
- Gives you more energy – During an Indian Head Massage the practitioner will incorporate techniques that work on balancing the chakras which goes beyond healing and restores balance to the bodies energies;
- Boosts memory – As everything begins to slow down due to relaxation, the client begins to feel tension dissipate and thoughts begin to quiet down, allowing the brain to heal and charge;
- Helps with sleeping problems – When we experience stress we often find that our sleep becomes impacted, an Indian Head massage helps relieve stress and tension which then helps the body relax and rest, as it should.